A recent Video from 'Collaborations'
"Silvaticus // Sunrise"
Press / Bio / Discography
Úna Keane is a Composer & Producer from Dublin. Since the release of piano solo LP ‘As I Wake, Still I Dream’ in 2017, she’s been steadily building a following on the ambient, neoclassical scene. A classically trained pianist with a background in tech, she blends piano, electronics, movement & film. Her use of cyclical patterns and looped motifs produces music that mines deep whilst conjuring cinematic landscape. Recurring themes in her work link nature, music & science.
Sophomore instrumental album ‘In the Deep’ was released at the end of 2019 with shows at D-Light Studios in Dublin and Servant Jazz Quarters in London. Lauren Murphy, reviewing for The Irish Times drew comparisons to the work of Ólafur Arnalds and Max Richter, citing her use of looped tracks and field recordings, while RTE 2FM's Dan Hegarty heralded it as a "stunning piece of work that will have you floating from tears to joy". Of her work over the past few years, Tony Clayton-Lea has named her "probably one of the best exponents of instrumental music that comes from a quiet, calm place". The album was recorded in an old Victorian Railway worker's cottage in Dublin 8 on her 100 year old Steck Baby grand Piano using a Tascam hand-held recorder.
At the end of 2020 she put out critically-acclaimed Live Album 'Collaborations' on her UKM label. Recorded at Dublin's Pepper Canister Church on March 5th 2020 (a week before lockdown), it features some very special guests: Stephen Shannon, Liam Ó'Maonlaí, Lōwli, Gareth Quinn Redmond & Ronán Conroy. Named Irish Album of the Year by Broadsheet.ie, it garnered a glowing 8.5/10 review from Hot Press and 4 stars from The Irish Times. It features work from her last 2 LPs, as well as some new work and in-the-flow improv. The concert was recorded, mixed and mastered by Adam KJ, and Úna & Adam co-produced. A Limited Edition Vinyl Pressing of ‘Collaborations’ is available here.
As for 2021 / 2022: She's been working from her home studio in Dublin on some solo, as well as on a couple of collaborative projects ; There's an EP of work for Piano + Electronics slated for release later this autumn, and a new studio album in the pipeline for 2022.
"While there is a timeless nature to these beautifully composed minimalist instrumentals, her use of looped tracks and field recordings give it a modern day perspective, akin to the work of Ólafur Arnalds, while her Max Richter influence is also audible. A simultaneously thought-provoking and mesmerising listen" - Lauren Murphy, The Irish Times "Entrancing" - Hot Press "Consistently beautiful" - Tony Clayton-Lea "An intriguing artistic statement" - The Sunday Times "Go see/hear her strange, soothing genius" - Michael Smiley "Testament to the wonderful mysteries of sound" John Kelly "A stunning piece of work that will have you floating from tears to joy" - Dan Hegarty, RTE 2FM
// R E C E N T P R E S S //
- Sept 2021: ‘Collaborations’ Vinyl Edition: Reviewed by Spellbinding Music
- June 2021: ‘Collaborations’ set for physical release on 16.07.21 – IMRO
- April 2021: Guest feature on Arts Insight Podcast
- March 2021: Hot Press premiere 2nd single from ‘Collaborations’ – ‘Silvaticus // Sunrise’
- Jan 2021: Dance / Film Collab with Jana Castillo (AUS) & Sinéad McDevitt (IRE)
- Jan 2021: Successfully crowd-funded to have ‘Collaborations’ pressed to Vinyl
- Dec 2020: ‘Collaborations’ named Irish Album of the year by Broadsheet.ie
- Dec 2020: No More Workhorse – A Year in Music – 2020 – Úna Keane
- Nov 2020: ‘Collaborations’ Album Review: Hot Press 8.5/10
- Nov 2020: ‘Collaborations’ Album Review: The Irish Times ****
- Nov 2020: Hot Press premiere video for ‘Hollow’ >>
- Nov 2020: Lauren Murphy on new live album ‘Collaborations’ for entertainment.ie
- Nov 2020: Nialler9 premieres new single ‘Hollow’
- Sept 2020: Single Ebb released for Culture Night. Named ‘Tune of the Week’ by RTE Culture
You can listen to & invest in COLLABORATIONS on Bandcamp >>
// D I S C O G R A P H Y // Composition / Instrumental Work:
- Silvaticus // Sunrise (2021, Single)
- Hollow (2020, Single)
- Collaborations (2020, Live Album)
- Ebb (2020, Single)
- In the Deep (2019, Studio Album)
- As I Wake, Still I Dream (2017, Studio Album)
- Hiraeth (2022, Feature, Pre-production, Dir: Michael Smiley)
- La Petite Mort (2019, Short, Dir: Michael Smiley). Short-listed at Galway International Film Fleadh & Film Festa Roma